Friday, August 22, 2003

The C-64 Will Never Die

OK, I suppose it already has. But I still have some mighty fond memories of spending my fat-kid-with-a-bowl-haircut years eating Doritos and farting around on my old-timey Commodore 64. Man, the good times...

There was this family of Vietnamese refugee kids who didn't speak English terribly well but could crack C-64 copy protection like you wouldn't believe, and they kept us all pretty well hooked up with pirated games. I remember Montezuma's Revenge being pretty much the same thing as a Mario game, but with rolling skulls instead of turtles. M.U.L.E. was probably the best strategy game coded, at least until Civilization came out (Lemon64's site design is kind of crummy, so I can't link right to the review of M.U.L.E., but it's worth reading). Gunship helped me burn up teen-boy angst by staying up all night shooting badly-rendered shapes that were supposed to be tanks- better yet, the C-64 could easily be hooked up to a TV, so if I took mine over to a friend's with a large TV, we could stay up all night blowing up really big badly-rendered shapes.

Like I said, good times...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home