Friday, August 29, 2003

Dropping the Bomb on Fargo Rock City

I read Chuck Klosterman's Fargo Rock City a couple of years ago and thought it was ok, but nothing to write home about. A memoir about growing up in North Dakota and listening to hair metal in the 80s, it was sort of refreshing in its unapologetic toneā€¦ Klosterman likes the music he likes, dammit, and he's not ashamed of it. It wasn't spectacularly well-written, and I did sort of get embarassed for the guy when he'd occasionally drift off into bragging about being a borderline alcoholic, but all in all I liked the book more than I disliked it.

Well, Klosterman has a new book out, and it seems to be ruffling some feathers. This review borders on hysterical hatchet-job status. I'm kind of amazed. Even with my misgivings about the guy, I don't know if he merits this sort of full-on attack and subsequent retreat to Moscow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home