Friday, September 05, 2003

Infinite Jest and Other David Foster Wallace Fun

This site is a treasure trove of reviews, articles, and interviews about Infinite Jest and David Foster Wallace in general. Good, good stuff. This Wallace essay about the detrimental effects of big special effects budgets on films is extremely perceptive and hilarious. And I agree with him on the relative quality of the first two Terminator movies (haven't seen the third, and, um, I probably won't).

Infinite Jest was a struggle to read... it took me three attempts, and the final, successful effort took nearly a month. But it was worth it: very entertaining, very vexing, and I even learned a bit about tennis. I'm hoping to read it again (both for sheer enjoyment and to answer some lingering questions), but I've got to work through a bunch of the book backlog first before I can set aside a month.

The word on the street is that Wallace has a new book coming out soon, a history of the concept of infinity. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I'll probably end up buying it in hardcover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home