Thursday, October 02, 2003

She Fell in Love with the Drummer

Currently trying to get psyched up for tonight's Grumpy Alice show… it should be a weird one. Given Bob's rather grim injuries, we're splitting drumming duties between Grant, Bob (on a couple of songs with parts so easy that they allow one-handed drumming), and me.

I started out playing drums back in high school, but pretty much gave it up after deciding that the equipment was too expensive (I needed new drum heads and couldn't afford them; I concluded that the smart thing to do would be to annihilate my drumset onstage at some cheesy Legion Hall thing we were doing. Fortunately, I've moved away from this when I need new guitar strings, even when I can't afford them). I was never all that good, but I'd forgotten how much pure fun it could be to play drums.

So I've spent most of the week listening to a lot more White Stripes than I would normally, trying to pick up as many clues as I can on how to do a lot on song dynamics with minimal drumming ability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home