Friday, March 05, 2004

Some Observations

1. I stopped at a gas station to get a Coke this morning on the way to work. A guy walked in behind me brandishing a fist full of money and bellowing that he needed to buy some lottery tickets right now, dammit. Unfortunately, the place didn't sell lottery tickets. So he shambled out and started marching down Third Avenue towards the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, still waving the money around.

I wonder how long he kept that money…

2. Even 13 years after its release, Achtung Baby is one hell of an impressive album. Listening to it while driving in the dark on a deserted-but-straight road (IE, listening to it with maybe 30% of your mental capacities in use and the other 70% just sitting there idle, primed for music consumption) is a great way to appreciate just how perfect all of the band members were right at that moment.

3. I've hung it up with the comic-reviewing for X-World. I'm a little sad, but the workload was getting pretty heavy now that I'm getting fairly steady freelance work (speaking of which, there's some more stuff in the pipeline; I'll post some links when there's something to link to). I was also starting to burn out; it's tough to come up with something new to say about the same books month after month, especially if it's a book where Chuck Austen is working his ass off to set a new standard for hack writing.

4. And a quick addendum to #3- Starting in the summer of 2001, I think Marvel Comics underwent a really nice creative renaissance. And I'm pretty sure that they've now managed to sink back into the morass that they were fighting to get out of back then. There are still a handful of good titles (Waid's Fantastic Four is good, the Milligan/Allred X-Statix remains outstanding, and Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man is well worth following), but most of what used to seem fresh and new has fallen into repetitive schtick again. I defy any thinking person to wade through the current arc of Uncanny X-Men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home