Thursday, September 30, 2004

Clearing House of a Month of Unposted Backlog

Item! I've got another piece up in the latest issue of the Rake. Straightforward humor this time, without any of that crazy journalism stuff. I sort of expect to get an angry letter or two because of the crack about the Minneapolis Police Department.

Item! And speaking of the Minneapolis Police Department, this thread on the Minnesota Offroad Cyclists Board pisses me off pretty mightily. Stepped-up enforcement of a bicycling speed limit? Seriously?! This is after a full two years of public kvetching about limited budgets and resources in the department; suddenly, people going faster than 10 mph around Lake Harriet is a top priority that must be addressed.

Here's a suggestion… if the City of Minneapolis is really up in arms about the underside of the cycling world, how about they do something about the rampant bike theft in town (exhibit A: some cockknocker broke into our building two weekends ago and stole Rebecca's bike; I'm assuming my road bike was spared because the handlebars were snapped in half at the time. And exhibit B: at least once a week, I can count on seeing someone riding down Lake Street on a multi-thousand-dollar mountain bike with platform pedals and the seat jacked down to the frame)? Or maybe do something about people parking their cars in bike-only lanes? Or start some sort of public-awareness campaign to spread the message that it's legal to ride your bike in the street, despite what some deranged fucks like to shout at me as they whiz past on my commute home?

Item! Also had an article in last week's Pulse of the Twin Cities. I'm coming off of sort of a dry period as far as the music writing goes, but it should be ramping up again shortly.

Item! I may doing a reading at the U of M to promote Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans. This is somewhat in doubt, though, because I still haven't actually gotten confirmation. On the other hand, maybe it's ok if it doesn't happen, because I guess Michael Moore may be speaking on campus at the same time, and I'm thinking that everyone will be there either listening or protesting, not leaving a lot of people for old-timey funny lit readings.

Item! Speaking of Created in Darkness, another publication has chosen to single out my story as a prime example of how many of the pieces in the book are only funny if you happen to have some esoteric piece of background knowledge. And once again, they're right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zosia Blue said...

Congrats on all the new articles. I always like to read your writing. Let me know when the U of M reading is, if it happens.

October 6, 2004 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home