Tuesday, November 02, 2004

My Shockingly Shallow Take on the Election

Rebecca and I got up at 6 so that we could vote and get breakfast before work; if one polling place in South Minneapolis cam be extrapolated to the entire country, turnout will be heavy and people will be drinking a lot of coffee.

I may live to eat these words, but right now I have a good feeling about the election. Could be self-delusion, but I think Bush is going to lose. It's good to feel this way, after being steadily more and more agitated for the past three years.

I can actually pinpoint the exact moment at which I started to become optimistic about this election. Towards the end of the (actually pretty disappointing) Van Halen show in St. Paul this past July, the band kicked into "Right Now" and played a modified version of the video on their giant telescreens. And one of the modifications to the video was a clip of George W. Bush with the caption "right now nothing is more expensive than regret."

My mind was really blown. Van fucking Halen was taking a political stand. That's when I was convinced that Bush could lose; if you've lost Van Halen, you've lost Middle America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home